Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chapter Seven: Who Are You to Tell Me What it Feels Like?

Alright. Gotta give Jamie something to read apparently, so here it goes.

I got a phone call around 3-ish yesterday, from my beloved friends upstairs. They wanted to know if my air conditioning was working. Luckily, I was sitting in front of it, and it was in fact working, for about 15 minutes. Then nothing. As usually, the temperature rises and the machine on the roof magically stops working. Our theories on that will be kept for another time though.

I have this problem, I can only sleep bundled in blankets. It was 24 degrees in my apartment last night. Needless to say, being bundled wasn't the most appropriate way to sleep. However, after a few hours of wrestling with tricking my body into thinking it's covered, but sticking my feet out in front of the fan, I was allowed to sleep in this morning.

So I wake up this morning to find that was still 24 degrees in my apartment. Which really, was livable, until I realized that the simple act of standing caused me to overheat. Jamie emailed me a posting from the news "Extreme Heat Alert". Since when is 24 degrees extreme heat? I guess we're all doomed as far as the rest of the summer goes. Anyway, as I was laughing at this, as I was reading this, the temperature climbed 4 degrees.

I have The Weather Eye installed on my computer. There's this little yellow icon on the right of my task bar, constantly telling me what the temperature is. If I click on it, there are more details. So, if I click on it right now it says "28*C, A few Clouds feels like 33". If it feels like 33 degrees isn't it 33 degrees? And how do they know what it feels like? I can tell you what it feels like. It feels like an oven. It feels like part of the apartment building might be on fire, but mostly, it feels like I'm pissed.

Why am I pissed? Obviously I can't control the weather. I'm pissed because paramedics are picking and choosing who they are going to help. I'm pissed because pools are closed. I'm pissed because my air conditioning is probably working and just turned off. I'm pissed because they've cancelled ferry service to the island, where it is significantly cooler than in the city. But mostly I'm pissed because not only did everyone choose a horrible time to strike, but assholes are leaving their garbage everywhere. It's like everyone is hellbent on causing other people misery. Not only do I have to hold on to my garbage, but I get to walk all over other peoples garbage? Give me a break. I don't wanna see your garbage. I certainly don't want to smell your garbage, but mostly, if I have to look at one more empty Iced Cap cup, and don't get my hands on my own Iced Cap, I won't be held accountable for my actions. *In case anyone is wondering, I like mint chocolate iced caps, with no whipped cream.*

Now that I've gotten that out of my system. I've learned how to cool my apartment. I've actually got goose bumps. My windows are cracked, my drapes are all closed, my shower is running cold water, and my fan is running in front of the bathroom door. Don't expect immediate results, it took about half an hour to really feel a difference.

Hurray for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment