Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chapter Fifteen: Hurray the "J" Works, and Yes, You Do Suck at Your Job.

I am at home with my working keyboard.

After an eventful week, I'm finally home. Procrastinating as usual. I need to clean up, but I'll finish this first. Pictures are still coming.

I had a less than impressive visit to the Real Canadian Superstore today. We had the most unenthusiastic, unhelpful, useless cashier I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with. The funny thing is, I didn't interact with her at all. It quite factually took her almost ten minutes to take the pull ties off of the bags we purchased to carry our products home in. We had a broken produce bag she wanted us to pay to replace, she didn't have scissors or tape, and made no attempt to retrieve these items, even as the bag of sugar we wanted to purchase was spilling all over the conveyor belt. She didn't smile, she didn't say "hi", "thank you" or "have a nice day". She looked so miserable that I was afraid she might kill herself right there in the store.

I get that a lot of people hate their jobs, but come on, you're getting paid, which is more than 8.4% of Canadians can say. 8.4% might not seem like a lot, but let me put it this way for you, more than 350 000 people have lost their jobs since October 2008.

What do I have to say about this?

She should be fired, and the job should be given to someone who is grateful, and has some appreciation of their community. The same goes for all the dirt bags responsible for the insane amount of garbage being piled in our parks. This includes the people on strike, the people allowing them to strike, and the people who don't care enough to hang on to their garbage until this is resolved. The reality of the matter is, if you don't live in a building where garbage removal is privatized, chances are you have a backyard. Don't want all that garbage hanging around on your property? STOP MAKING SO MUCH GARBAGE. My support goes out to those who are actually making an effort to help keep what was once a beautiful city clean, and I thank you.

I watch a documentary about Toronto on OASIS last night, and I do have to say, Toronto, in places, is a truly remarkable, beautiful place. It made me remember the things about Toronto that I love, and that I miss when I'm not here. Unfortunately, every time I look outside, those memories become just that, memories.

So with that said, I end another chapter.

1 comment:

  1. ughhh i know. STOP MAKING GARBAGE. assholes. seriously. unfortunately i live in one of those house apartment things where there's a store in a house and we live above the store and we have no where to put our garbage- we only have one window and it leads to the balcony which would lead to ridackulous stench should we open the window (which we have to, damn lack of air conditioning) still, we've only put out one bag so far (our landlord was nice enough to let us keep it in their van garage) and our next door neighbours don't even have a balcony... though as far as i know, they've only had one bag too! wtf? most people in toronto are only allowed to put out one bin full of garbage every two weeks anyway- at the most like 2 bags. where is all this shit coming from? i go through china town on my way to work on my bike and it's fucked up. PILES everywhere. luckilly, my nice little neighbourhood gives a fuck (they were the ones freaking out about christie pits) and there's no garbage on our street at all.
    sigh. rant. i agree with everything.

    ReplyDelete