Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chapter Twenty-Four: Bloggerific.

So, here I find myself at the end of another week, reflected on what we've learned so far. What? Oh shit. Really? It's only Tuesday? Dammit. Alright.

So, here I find myself at the end of Tuesday, wishing it were Friday, reflecting on what we've learned so far. The list includes how to not remove permanent marker from you wall, but from your child, how to remove Vaseline from hair, things that piss me off, things that don't piss me off, bands I've seen live with a few exceptions, that Jamie is old, Nicole rules, and that Toronto smells bad. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff I cared about at the time, or didn't care about at the time, but I think that covers the basis.

Bands, or artist that I'm 90% sure didn't make my previous list include the musical talents of our favorite media hog, Brittney Spears (MMVA's some non-recent year), Len (side stage, Edge Fest '99) and Harvey Danger (side stage, Summersault).

Len, for those of you who don't know, or don't remember, or just don't care, had their magical one hit wonder "If You Steal My Sunshine". To be honest, I'm not even sure that it's their song, it may, or may not have been a cover. Anyway, I vividly remember them getting booed off the stage at Edge Fest, and having water bottles, both empty and full, thrown at them. I was mildly amused at the time, for I had no real desire to watch them preform in the first place, but I'm thinking that they probably would have been fun to watch. They seem like really fun people.

Harvey Danger, also had a marvelous one hit wonder, called Flagpole Sitta. You know the one "Oh... I'm not sick, but I'm not well... and I'm so hot, 'cause I'm in hell..." for those who still don't remember I can also quote the line "been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding..." which really is the line that sticks out in my head the most. I can vividly remember them preforming this song. In fact, it may very well be the only song that they played, however memories of it include the destruction of a keyboard caused by a 30-somethingish looking could have been rock star jumping on it, repeatedly.

Other bands I suddenly remember seeing include the Gandharvas (can't think of a song by them), Goldfinger (band triumphs include the successful covering of 99 Red Balloons, originally 99 Luftballons by Nina). Marilyn Mason (if you don't know, stop reading my blog).

I can also vividly remember Courtney Loves purple panties, and how cold I was while watching from the top to the hill. That's right, the hill, the one, the only, and the never again. Anyone who's ever been to Molson Park, as Molson Park, knows of what I speak.

Garbage puts on a good show, the mics stopped working for Our Lady Peace, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a concert clear out so quickly as when the Crystal Method took the stage. In retrospect, I wish I had stuck around, I probably would have enjoyed them.

Hayden had some interesting stories about an inter species relationship between a girl and a bear. I Mother Earth introduced us to what's-his-face for the first time since Edwin's departure.

I've seen Matthew Good Band a total of 4 times. Each time was exactly the same, which sounded exactly like all one of their albums (at the time).

Silverchair is exactly what you expect them to be, Treble Charger has a high energy feel to them, I would see 3 Doors Down again. I watched Serial Joe make it from side stage to main, and let me just say "Nickleback does suck" regardless of what Chad has to say. Gob, Joydrop and Sevendust were all fun to watch. I think I was expecting Tool to be more like what I've come to love about Nine Inch Nails. I don't remember actually seeing Creed, but I remember that I did.

Sam Roberts and Sass Jordan did put on a good show for what little time they had. I wish I could have seen AC/DC decades before I did, though I enjoyed it none the less, and the Rolling Stones were the Stones, what else can I say? Good or bad, I saw the fucking Stones.

The most disappointing though, would have to be Weezer, without a doubt. I scored some tickets as a perk of my summer employment at a local music store. After waiting for hours to get into Ontario Place, the band showed up 45 minutes after they were supposed to start, played 3 songs, and took off. The show wasn't even that great, but by the time you got into it, they were gone. By far the biggest waist of time, at least I had brought good company though.

Then there are the memories that have nothing to do with the music. The IME hats, tornado warnings, getting caught in the rain, mud wrestling, recreational indulgences, the 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew that managed to find my head at every concert I'd been to up until I was 21. The fly guy, line ups, gas stops, honking signs, 2 1/2 hours of Beatles music, "we're going to see Pearl Jam" and jello shooters. Braiding Jen's hair, and Ashley's spot. Sun burns and self-induced laryngitis. Good times. Most of all that feeling, that "one day it'll be me" feeling. Hoping that some day, you'll be standing there, center stage, listening to 40 thousand people sing your song to you.

1 comment:

  1. THE FLYYYYY GUY! and ashley's spot. oh man. losing ben in the pit til i saw her neon green shoelaces go past my head.

    ReplyDelete